Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Actually a letter to my mother, who will deliver the message

Dear Mommy,

I just want to let you know I'm thinking of you. I know these have been some of the hardest days you've ever had, and unfortunately the most difficult part of this big change is still coming up. I'm sorry I haven't been there to help and support you, but it's a good thing you're the strongest woman I know.

Even though it breaks my heart to see my childhood home become empty, I know it's a good time for us to move forward. Even though this isn't what you had in mind when you found this little house 25 years ago, here's the thing: It did its job.

It helped you raise us. It carried our first steps. It's where I learned what good music is. It kept us warm and hosted thousands of meals I can only aspire to create. It housed our sleepovers and our wide range of pets. It's where I became me. 

And now here I am, undoubtedly me. Somehow, in the blink of an eye, you've got two stubborn, determined, and independent daughters. That house has accomplished exactly what you had hoped it would. 

I wish I could thank the house that put up with me when I was too stubborn to help you take care of it. I'd like to thank it for being the place where I learned to love books, quiet nights with our family, and all things nature. 

If I did that, though, I think the house would remind me who to thank. Mom, it was you, Caitlin, our dogs, ducks, and turtles that made it home. Thank you for teaching me what a home should feel like. I know one day you and I will both feel home again.

I love you!
Your Shan

No comments:

Post a Comment